Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Guinevere's Blog #13

     "Let your own argument determine your use of sources" (Ramage, Bean and Johnson 199) stood out to me, since our exploratory essay employed the opposite idea regarding our sources. In that type of work, it is our task to let what we discover in our various sources lead the way to provoking more ideas, more differing opinions. In the essay using Bodie as an example about crime, the author had a specific already decided agenda, and so it was logical to then allow her own direction to guide her in deciding on the sources.
     Patchwriting is explained to be "a form of academic dishonesty because you aren't fully composing your own sentences and thus misrepresent both your own work and that of the source writer" (Ramage, Bean and Johnson 204).  I had never before heard the term "patchwriting" and while I understand the idea of "academic dishonesty", I thought back to my exploratory essay, and remembered how difficult it was to paraphrase some of the information I wanted to use for my writing.  When the information I wanted to transfer was of a data-type or explanation of an experiment, it seemed like there were instances where direct quotes didn't make sense to use, but when paraphrasing, it also seemed extra tricky to state things in my own words without patchwriting. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

No comments:

Post a Comment