Monday, October 17, 2011

Cayla Lepior Blog #15

 I decided to write about abortion in the United States and the different opinions about making it legal/illegal. This is a very controversial topic so I think I will get read about a lot of different perspectives and opinions while looking for people’s blogs about abortion and pro-life/pro-choice.

The first blog I found was from The Washington Post by Herb Silverman. The blog is titled “Pro-choice and Pro-life” and discusses the views of Silverman and his support of both pro-choice and pro-life. Silverman says, “I support a woman’s right to choose and oppose capital punishment” (Silverman). He uses Aristotle’s Rhetorical appeals when he says “You would think that those who oppose abortion under any circumstances and view it as the greatest evil would necessarily favor practical steps to reduce the number of abortions” (Silverman). He uses pathos and logic to question other people’s viewpoints and to make a point. What he is saying there is true, if people don’t agree with abortions, then why aren’t they in compliance with taking away our government’s funding for sex-education and government funded daycares? This article is different because he addresses both sides of the controversy, unlike most blogs that are very one-sided.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/on-faith/post/pro-choice-and-pro-life/2011/09/13/gIQAk3P5PK_blog.html

            The second blog I found was from a website called prolifeblogs.com and did not have a specific author. The article is titled “Undercover calls reveal Medicaid willing to pay for non-emergency late-term abortions with taxpayer $$”. This article basically talks about how the debate over tax-funded abortions and how millions of our tax dollars are being used to fund abortions every year. For example, “The caller identified herself as having a healthy pregnancy in the 26th week of gestation to a Southwester Women’s Options employee named Sue. She told Sue that the reason she wanted an abortion was because her husband had just lost his job” (Undercover). In my opinion this appeals to my emotions because it is shocking to me that someone would abort their baby when it is almost fully developed for the sake that their husband lost his job. This article is different than most because it talks about the tax-funded abortions that most people aren’t aware of for example, “It is State money that generally funds abortions to the tune of millions of dollars annually”(Undercover).

http://www.prolifeblogs.com/articles/archives/2011/10/undercover_call.php

            The third blog I found was from blog.prochoice.org and is called “Wednesday’s Words from Women”. This blog is different because it lets other women submit their stories about why they got abortions. In my opinion, this appeals to people’s emotions and puts them in their positions so maybe other people opposed to abortions could have a better understanding. An example of this is when a member of an abortion clinic says, “I was physically abused by someone who claimed to love me, which made it so hard for me to leave him. However, I feared for my life. When I found out that I was pregnant, the decision was easy—I could not bring a child into this situation. The NAF member clinic saved my life. Having this option made a world of difference. I owe you all so much. I will be forever grateful” (Women). This definitely appeals to my emotions because this woman is sharing her personal experience to try and show others what it’s like.

http://blog.prochoice.org/

            The fourth blog I found was from a website called feminist.us and the author, Jill, explains why she is pro-choice. This blog particularly addresses all three sides of Aristotle’s Rhetorical appeals: ethics, logic, and emotions. Examples of this are when the author says “I am pro-choice because I think women themselves are the best people to decide when and if they get pregnant, give birth, and raise children” (Jill). This is really influential because this is the core of the controversy. Whose choice is it in reality? The author of this blog does a really good job of addressing all of the reasons she is pro-choice.

http://www.feministe.us/blog/archives/2007/01/22/why-im-pro-choice/


No comments:

Post a Comment