Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Kathryn McDermott Blog #13

In chapter 5 I found two hotspots. One was "The essential move for exploratory thinking and writing is to keep a problem alive through consideration of multiple solutions or points of view" (Rammage, Bean, Johnson 107). This sticks out to me because we just wrote an exploratory essay in class and so I better understand the meaning behind the quote. Another hotspot I found while reading chapter 5 was "The key to producing a good annotated bibliography is to take good research notes as you read" (Rammage, Bean, Johnson 118). This stuck out to me because we have not written an annotated bibliography yet this year, nor have I written one since my junior year research paper. I know it was a pain to make, but it did help a lot with my research.
While skimming chapter 8 I found another two hotspots. "How you incorporate a research source into your own paper - whether, for example, you summarize it fully or simply draw a few pieces of factual information from it - depends on your own purpose" (Rammage, Bean, Johnson 199). This chapter is about how to incorporate sources into your paper and I think that this sentences sums up an interesting way to do that. Another hotspot is "As a research writer, you need to incorporate sources gracefully into your own prose so that you stay focused on your own argument" (Rammage, Bean, Johnson 202). This is a good quote because it is talking about when to quote, when to summarize, and when to paraphrase, which is very important to writing an effective paper.
In chapter 9 I found another hotspot "An in-text citation and its corresponding Works Cited entry are linked in a chicken-and-egg system: You can't cite a source in the text without first knowing how the source's entry will be alphabetized in the Works Cited list" (Rammage, Bean, Johnson 222). This stuck out to me originally because it was comical, but as I reread it I realized it really was true to writing and how to make the Works Cited page.

No comments:

Post a Comment