Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Blog #13 - Cassie Wolff

While reading chapter 8 of Pearson’s writing I came across a few hotspots that stuck out to me when learning about informative writing. The first thing that stuck out to me was, “When using the surprising-reversal strategy, keep in mind that surprise is a relative term based on the relationship between you and your intended audience. You don’t have to surprise everyone in the world, just those who hold a mistaken or marrow view of your topic” (Ramage, Bean and Johnson 184). This was important to me because it will help me when writing that I do not have to feel the pressure to write to everyone. I need to write the new things that I myself discovered and share it how I interpret it, so that I can help those that feel the same way I do about a certain subject. It needs to surprise my audience I am trying to appeal to and surprise them the way I was surprised as well.  
                The second thing I noticed in the reading was under revising. A writer always needs to revise their work, it is never completely finished or completely perfect. It states, “As you revise, make sure that your graphics (if you use them) and your words tell the same story and reinforce each other” (Ramage, Bean and Johnson 186). This also stuck out to me because I need to remind myself of this. After taking all the time to write your paper take the time to revise it, make sure they help each other out in what you are trying to get across. Like announced in the text of Pearson make sure it relates to who or what you are presenting to. Then after you yourself have revised your work, trade it with one or more persons to see what they think about your writing. I completely agree with both of these hotspots and think they have a lot to offer.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that revising your paper is an important step to remember to fix the silly mistakes you have made.

    ReplyDelete