Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Michaela Dempsey's Blog #13


            After reading chapter 5 of the Pearson Reader, I found a couple of very interesting topics. In the first paragraph, I came across this quote on experienced writers versus inexperienced writers, “Asserting a thesis too soon can prevent writers from acknowledging an issue’s complexity, whereas dwelling with a question invites writers to contemplate multiple perspectives, entertain new ideas, and let their thinking evolve,” (Rammage, Bean, and Johnson 105). I found this interesting because after doing the exploratory essay I feel as though researching both sides of an issue really did influence my writing in a positive way. I also thought that “the essential move for exploratory thinking and writing is to keep a problem alive through consideration of multiple solutions or points of view,” (Rammage, Bean, and Johnson 107) is a great tip when attempting to write an exploratory essay. I found this to be somewhat difficult because all of the other essays that I have written have been from one point of view. To consider different options within one essay was different and sort of fun.
         In chapter 9’s bullet points on what needs to be on the works cited page or reference page, I had no idea of the first bullet point, “Every source in Works Cited or References must be mentioned in the body of the paper,” (Rammage, Bean, and Johnson 221). I guess after reading that it makes sense but all through high school I put websites and books (most of which were just used to reach the required number of sources) that weren’t ever used in my actual essay. Good thing I know that now! I thought that the examples of all of the different types of citations on pages 225-234 of the Pearson Reader was a good reference for writing the Works Cited or the References page. I will probably refer to this next time I have to cite something.

1 comment:

  1. I read through those references as well to make sure I was doing things correctly.

    ReplyDelete