Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Maura Weir Homework #8

While watching Suheir Hammad i noticed how she used ethos, pathos, and logos. I noticed the use of ethos because she was very passionate about what she was saying. She was very persuasive while reciting her poem especially when she said "We did not vilify white men when they bombed Oklahoma" (Hammad 2:32). Her whole point in her poem is that her and her people are all associated with Osama Bin Laden and the terrorists of 9/11, when they did nothing wrong. She is saying that when white men commit a crime all white people are not associated with them and it is unfair. You can tell by watching this video Suheir Hammad uses pathos, because of the emotion in her voice. When she speaks she speaks with passion. She also uses logos in her poem. She reasons with the people in the audience but  especially when she says " I don't give a f*** about Bin Laden, his vision of the world don't represent me, or those i love" (Hammad 3:29). I think that's when her audience really got involved and really started listening to what she said.
     I find Suheir Hamad very persuasive, because she speaks with emotion, like she actually cares about what she is saying. She shows power when she speaks. I thought the audience found her persuasive too, because they clapped and screamed for her arguments. She reasoned with her audience which made them respond to her more. I think she had a strong argument because a lot of people agree with her.

4 comments:

  1. I agree that Hammad did have a strong argument, but I'd also say a strong argument is not dependent on whether or not people agree with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't notice Hammah's use of logos in the poem because there is not any data or statistics related to how she was persecuted as a Muslim.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't notice any use of logos at first either but you found a pretty good example!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used the same quote to show her use of logos. It was most definitely not her main way of persuasion but there were some facts in there!

    ReplyDelete