Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Tyler Fred (Sarah Haskins and BITCH magazine blog)

After first watching “Doofy Husbands: Target Women” I found it kind of funny and a little bit stupid. One of the reasons I thought it was stupid was when the hostess, Sarah Haskins, showed the commercial of the man spraying weeds and he kills the grass. She stopped at the end and said “He sprayed the ground eight times! Eight!” like it was real life and not a commercial and the guy actually sprayed the grass eight times. I also thought it was strange how Sarah used strictly fictional television commercials to try and prove that husbands are useless and “doofy”. When I watched is for a second time her first quote really stuck out to me. It said, “Being a woman isn’t easy. We work, we take care of the house, we raise children, and we do it all without a shred of help form those lumbering man beasts known as husbands”. I got really offended and was pretty shocked that she makes the statement that men don’t contribute at all to the well-being of the family.
                I liked “Tropes vs. Women: #1 The Manic Pixie Dream Girl” much better than the first video. The first hotspot I found was in the beginning when the lady said how tropes can be over used and turn into clichés and “tropes often perpetuate offensive stereotypes”. I feel like the main purpose of this statement and the video is to show how the way women are portrayed in Hollywood films makes a negative stereotype towards women in the real world. I also liked at the end when the speaker said that “women are not here for men’s inspiration or celebration”, but that they are also here to make a difference and change the world.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your statement about the guy spraying the grass. It's like Sarah Haskins almost thinks that commercials are real life. I wonder if she's married.

    ReplyDelete