Monday, September 19, 2011

Brian Walborn Homework #5

In Eugene August's essay entitled "Real Men Don't" he goes very in-depth about how he believes that the English language makes you believe that women are treated as inferior when men are as well. From a neutral standpoint after playing the believing and doubting game, I can definitely see where August is coming from. In the essay, August says: "A boy quickly learns that, while it is usually acceptable for girls to be tomboys, God forbid that he should be a sissy" (August 132-133). This quote resonates with my own personal experience because I grew up with an older sister who was a "tomboy" and would often pick on me and call me words similar to "sissy." I had it imbedded into my head that girls were allowed to act like boys, but to be called a sissy was a terrible thing. This essay contradicts my personal experience when August says: "The law has been particularly obtuse in recognizing fathers as parents, as evidenced by the awarding of child custody to mothers in 90% of court cases" (August 136). I had a friend whose parents unfortunately went through a divorce. His father was awarded custody of him because his mother was "unfit." Initially, I was extremely convinced by this essay, but after taking a step back and looking at both sides, I am pretty much at a neutral area on this argument.

In Deborah Tannen's essay quite a few things jumped out at me. One of these things that resonated with my personal experience was when she was talking about seeing the women at the conference and, for lack of better terms, judging them. I have often found myself thinking of the same exact thing: Why do girls have to wear make up, do their hair, and so on, but men don't have to worry about any of that. It is an extremely thought provoking topic. As for the contradiction of personal experience, when Tannen says: "There is no unmarked woman" (Tannen 142). In my personal opinion, it's very simple for a woman to be unmarked, they just have to try a little harder to not stand out than a man does (make up, hair styles, etc..)

1 comment:

  1. I like what you said about Tannen's essay. I didn't really like reading this essay, but I think everyone recognizes how women are always being judged, a lot more than men.

    ReplyDelete