Friday, September 23, 2011

Brian Walborn Blog #6

The first "hotspot" that I noticed in Chapter Three of Guyland by Michael Kimmel was the section entitled "Being a Man Among Men." This particular section of the reading really stuck out to me because most of these experiences that these 20-something year-old kids have had, I have also had. I grew up with two older brothers just like Drew from the reading. I feel like my older brothers most definitely shaped the person I am now. They way you are raised can easily shape the person you become, whether you are raised with brothers or raised with only sisters, the outcome is usually correlating to how you grew up. I can also relate to Don, the football player. "The first thing I think of is my coach" (Kimmel 47). I definitely agree with this statement as well. I played football in high school, and the most I can say about it is that it was both the most fun I've ever had, and sometimes humiliation from the coaches. A lot of times the coaches would get in your face, you just have to learn how to deal with it.

The second "hotspot" I ran across was the section entitled "Violence as Restoration." "Violence is how they [men] express all that disappointment" (Kimmel 55). This quote is extremely true for me. I couldn't tell you if it was the way I was raised or what, but I have an extremely short temper when it comes to a lot of things. A lot of times I will find myself getting mad at my girlfriend over absolutely nothing, realizing it later, and then feeling like a complete idiot. I obviously don't physically abuse her, but when I get heated, I begin to feel violent (wanting to hit things). I think it's a large part of just the nature of man.

No comments:

Post a Comment