Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Cassie Wolff Homework #3


While reading in Everything’s a Text about personal literacies, I came across a quote from the Bishop that caught my attention. He stated, “...we do not experience life as a single, unified consciousness. Instead, we are constructed through our family, various communities’ we are part of, cultural affiliations, and our racial and ethnic backgrounds” (Bishop 67). To me this quotation means a lot of things, such as when writing your own type of literacy you are not just writing about your personal experiences you are tying ends with others as well. No matter what is happening to you personally, you always need to know that someone out there is going through a similar if not exact experience. Personal experiences appear everywhere in the world, “automatically linked to a larger social and cultural reality” (Melzer 67). Nothing has so true as this quotation has for me.

Another point I came across in the third chapter of Everything’s a Text, has a lot to do with myself as a writer, that some others might agree about themselves as well. The passage, “By writing about your own lives and literacies, you should both build confidence as a writer and be more willing to explore what you think and feel about yourself and the world around you” (Melzer 69). When I look at myself as a writer I do not see great confidence or skill, which is something I need to work on. I need to become more flexible and encourage myself that writing is all about my feelings and how I see the world and things around me. I am hoping that this passage will stick with me as I go through life reminding me I can do exceptional work if I put my mind to it.  I want to someday be like Amy Tan and have literacy make a large impact on my life.

1 comment:

  1. I like your first quote, that really stuck out to me too. Its really good also to realize that everything we go through someone else is enduring the same thing.

    ReplyDelete